Streamlines the way people work with information and one another, making it easier to create, share and analyze data.
It is designed for users who demand the most from their computing experience. This reliable operating system will keep your computer up and running usually even if a program crashes and helps you recover from system problems more easily.
- Builds on the strengths of Windows 2000 and NT, making it more powerful and stable than previous operating systems.
- Supports even more devices and technologies so that you can take advantage of the next generation of hardware devices.
- Runs hundreds of programs that didn't run on Windows 2000 and enables you to set up your system to run in compatibility mode even if a program isn't supported by by Windows XP.
- Windows Messenger the easy way to communicate with anyone in real time, users can choose text, voice, and video with excellent performance.
- Remote Desktop allows users to create a virtual session onto their desktop computer from any Windows 95 or later based-computer, giving them remote access to all of their data and applications.
- Wireless 802.1x Networking Support provides secured access, as well as performance improvements for wireless networks.
- Remote Assistance allows users to have a peer or IT Professional remotely control their PC to demonstrate a process or help solve a problem.
- Policy-Based Desktop Management (IntelliMirror Technology) allows group policies and roaming user profiles, simplifying desktop and user management when using a Windows 2000 Server infrastructure.
- Multi-Language Support allows users to easily create, read, and edit documents in many different languages. Internet Explorer 6 includes many new and enhanced features that simplify tasks, increase reliability, and help maintain the privacy of personal information on the Web.
- Encrypting File System provides the highest level of protection from hackers and data theft by transparently encrypting files with a randomly generated key.
- User State Migration Tool can migrate a users data and application/operating settings from their old to their new desktop.
- New Task-Based Visual Design helps users navigate more easily by exposing the most common tasks through a cleaner and new visual cues.
- Microsoft Windows 98
- Windows 98 Second Edition
- Windows Millennium Edition
- Windows NT Workstation 4.0
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Windows XP Home Edition (this will not upgrade from Media Center edition)
PC with 300MHz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required(Single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
128 MB of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
1.5 GB of available hard-disk space
Super VGA (800x600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor
CD-ROM or DVD drive
Keyboard and Mouse or compatible pointing device